Water – the source of all life. And no one can go without it. Water is our most important resource. Additionally it is cheap and has zero calories! Apart from nutrition, water is necessary for our daily hygiene. Anyone who has had their water turned off for a longer period knows what we are talking about. Water is omnipresent in our everyday life. On today’s World Water Day, we would like to introduce you to the most important elixir of life.
Water is not only our source of life, it also gets our organism going. After all, it is not for nothing that the human body consists of 70% water. Only those who drink enough liquid have enough fuel to maintain the natural metabolism. Therefore, two litres a day is the minimum you should take. Just even a 2% fluid loss can lead to physical and mental impairments such as difficulty concentrating and circulatory problems.
5 simple tips to drink more water
- Place a glass of water next to your workplace. Our water stick in your glass, as a small highlight, will always remind you to drink a little.
- Vary what you drink. Drinking only water is boring in the long run. Adding a few slices of lemon, mint to your water or simply having unsweetened tea, makes drinking more fun!
- Always have a small water bottle with you! So that you always remember to drink even when you are out and about.
- Make drinking water into an experience! For example, with cool coasters, eye-catching water sticks or stylish reusable bottles.
- Drink two glasses of water immediately after getting up. This will get your body going in the morning and you would have replenished the fluids lost while sleeping.
Water keeps the hair and skin young
At birth, the body consists of 90% water. However, as we age, the body forgets to store water and this proportion continues to fall. Breathing and the skin alone causes the body to lose almost half a litre of water a day! Furthermore, water is the basic building block of healthy skin cells. In other words: without water our skin becomes dry, rough and flaky. Even hair consists of about one fifth water and needs sufficient hydration. So if you want smooth hair, you should start by drinking more water. Water also has an influence on the various areas of our body such as: The joints, digestion, kidney function (keyword: water fasting) and our immune system. Children in particular need relatively more fluids than adults!
The most important raw material of our planet
The need to conserve water has never been greater – especially in Central Europe, which experienced the great drought of 2018 itself. In large parts of the world, access to clean water is not yet a matter of course. According to the UN World Water Report, by 2050, if water and sanitation services are successful, only half of the world’s population will have access to clean water. This makes it all the more important to learn to appreciate this valuable resource. That is why the motto for 2019 is “Leave no one behind – water and sanitation for all“.